15 Facts About The Icon

Publish date: 2024-05-08

Dick Van Dyke has had a squeaky-clean image throughout his Hollywood career. He's so beloved by his fans and his peers, in fact, that even speaking to the public about his struggle with alcoholism wasn't met with any negative feedback.

In 1974, the actor sat down on "The Dick Cavett Show" for a frank conversation about overcoming his alcohol addiction. "For me, it took many, many years," he explained. "Of course, by the time I realized I was in trouble, I was too diluted. Most alcoholics are." Unlike some alcoholics, Van Dyke claimed that he was "never" drunk on set (or even during the day), choosing to unwind with a drink "after work."

What's interesting to note is that Van Dyke's need for drinking began due to being in the public eye. In 2016, while speaking with Oprah Winfrey on "Oprah: Where Are They Now?" (via ET), the legendary actor shared that he was so shy with people that he simply couldn't even strike up a conversation. "And I found if I had a drink, it would loosen me up. The barriers went down and I became very social. That's what got me started," he revealed. In 1978, the "Mary Poppins" star founded the Dick Van Dyke Addiction Treatment Center, which aims to help others with similar addictions.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with addiction issues, help is available. Visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website or contact SAMHSA's National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7qL7Up56eZpOkunCCj21vaW5fmbakt4yvmKdllK64pnnToZxmrZ6pvK2wjK2prqyYZA%3D%3D